When stomach contents and acid flows upwards from the stomach into the mouth and the esophagus it is called as acid reflux or GERD. This causes irritation, heartburn, nausea, vomiting, hoarseness, cough and eroding of tooth enamel. These symptoms compel you see a doctor and head towards the over to counter drugs.
Also see: Acid Reflux
Here are few home remedies to relieve acid reflux:
1. Baking soda- Take a teaspoon of baking soda and add it to a cup of water. Mix well and drink the solution. Having a pH more than 7 it will neutralize the stomach acid.
* Avoid this if you have high blood pressure. Avoid intake of baking soda more than a week as it may cause nausea and vomiting.
2. Lemon juice- Squeeze a lemon in a cup of warm water. Drink this empty stomach for a few days. It is better not to eat anything for 20 minutes after having it. This will aid the digestion and neutralize the acid level.
3. Apple cider vinegar- Add 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water. Add half teaspoon honey and a few drops of lemon to it. Drink it to relieve acid reflux symptoms.
4. Ginger- Grate some ginger and extract its juice. Add lemon juice to it and drink it. Alternatively, you may add a piece of jaggery to the crushed ginger and suck it. As the juice reaches the stomach it will relieve acid reflux.
5. Indian gooseberries- Eating them raw not only aids the digestion but also, prevents acid reflux.
6. Aloe Vera juice- Aloe Vera juice reduces the inflammation and calms your digestive system. It acts as a laxative and cleans the system. Drink it before meals to soothe your stomach.
7. Chewing gum- When you chew a gum it accelerates the production of the saliva. This washes accumulated acids.
8. Papaya- Enzymes present in the papaya aids digestion.
9. Fenugreek seeds- Soak fenugreek seeds in water at night. Strain the water in the morning and drink it to relieve acid reflux.
10. Chamomile tea- Take few chamomile leaves and add it to a cup of boiling water. Steep it for 20 minutes. Strain the mixture and drink it.
11. Mint leaves- Chew mint leaves. You may also grind some mint leaves and add it to a cup of water and drink it to calm your digestive system.
12. Banana- Natural antacids present in the banana act as a buffer and relieves acid reflux.
13. Almonds- Being alkaline food raw almonds balances the pH level. They are a rich source of calcium and relieves symptoms of acid reflux.
14. Fennel seeds- If you want a quick relief to the symptoms of acid reflux to chew some fennel seeds.
15. Black pepper- Grind black pepper and mix it with rock salt. Add this mixture to a half teaspoon water and take it after meals. This aids digestion.
16. Cardamom- Grind two Cardamon sticks and add it to a cup of water. Boil it for 15 minutes. Strain it and drink it slowly to relieve acid reflux.
Above mentioned home remedies to relieve acid reflux are easily available and are inexpensive. In the case of difficulty in swallowing, chest pain, blood in vomit, choking and unexplained weight loss please consult your physician.