One of the major concerns of the lactating mother is “Am producing enough milk?” In most of the cases where mothers suspect of low milk production, the real problem is that her baby is unable to latch to her breast, so make sure the latch is right.
If your baby is putting on weight it is the best indication that you are producing enough milk. Other signs and symptoms that suggest the same are as follows:
- Your baby is feeding about 7 to 8 times in a day and sleeps well after feeding.
- You don’t feel any pain or discomfort while feeding your newborn.
- After feeding baby your breast feels soft and light.
- The newborn is passing urine 7 to 8 times in a day.
After analyzing above mentioned signs and symptoms, if you still think your milk supply is low, then follow the tips given below to increase breast milk supply naturally:
- Reduce stress – If you will stress yourself milk supply will reduce. So stop worrying, be positive and follow the tips discussed below.
- Nurse your baby frequently to increase breast milk supply- More you nurse your baby, more the baby suckling will stimulate the breast to produce milk. If your baby sleeps a lot gently wake him up after 2 to 3 hours and encourage her to feed.
- Avoid formula milk or supplementation- More the demand more the milk is produced. If you will give formula milk to your baby she won’t be hungry and won’t demand breast milk. Gradually your milk supply will decrease.
- Breastfeed skin to skin to increase breast milk supply- This really helps. While feeding takes off your shirt and bra and also unclothed your newborn. Wrap a blanket around both of you. Hold the baby in arms and feed her. Her warmth and bonding between you and baby will stimulate your hormone to produce and eject more milk.
- Do not limit breastfeeding sessions- Feed your baby according to the demand. Do not set any feeding schedule. Encourage your baby to drink milk from each breast for at least 15 minutes.
- Have proper sleep- Try to schedule your sleep timings according to your baby so that you can get enough of sleep. Stay relaxed and calm. Ask other family members or a babysitter to take care of the household and the baby for some time so that you get some extra sleep.
- Pump in between breastfeeding to increase breast milk supply- When your baby is done with feeding or between nursing, pump your breast for about 10 minutes. This stimulates the production of milk. You may pump in between 2AM to 5AM as milk production is highest during this time period.
- Diet- Take a proper balanced diet containing all food groups. Drink 3 liters of water in a day. Drink at least 3 glasses of milk. Include fenugreek, oatmeal, ginger, turmeric, millet, Quinoa, barley, fennel seeds, Brewers yeast, Sesame seeds, Almonds, flaxseed, green leafy vegetables, cumin seeds, holy basil leaves, pulses, lentils and nuts in your diet.
Above mentioned tips will help you to increase breast milk supply naturally in a few weeks. If your problem still persists do consult your doctor.