Nausea and vomiting of pregnancy are also called as morning sickness. For most of the women, it is worse in the morning, but in others, it may last for a whole day and may trigger at any time.
Morning sickness is most common and usually the first signs of pregnancy. Symptoms of morning sickness begin at around the 6th week of gestation but may start early. Half of the pregnant women are relieved after 12 to 14 weeks, but it may persist until delivery. It is more common in women with multiple gestations, family history of morning sickness and women who have experienced morning sickness in previous pregnancies.
Causes of symptoms of morning sickness:
- Rising levels of hCH hormone level during gestation.
- Raising levels of estrogen hormone during pregnancy.
- Increased sensitivity to smell and certain aromas.
- Sensitive stomach.
Morning sickness is not harmful. Neither it is a threat to the unborn baby. It may be considered as a good sign of developing a placenta.
Morning sickness may cause electrolyte disturbance and weight loss. Antacids, dietary measures, and proper rest can relieve symptoms of morning sickness to some extent.
Below are a few tips to relieve symptoms of morning sickness:
- Nibble crackers when you are awake in the morning, even 20 to 30 minutes before getting out of your bed to relieve morning sickness.
- Avoid having fluids empty stomach.
- Sip small sips of fluid at regular intervals during the day to avoid symptoms of morning sickness
- Eat small meals at small intervals.
- Avoid drinking fluids with meals. Drink fluids either a half hour before or after the meals.
- Take plenty of rest to relieve symptoms of morning sickness
- Do not lie just after eating.
- Avoid hot and warm places.
- Avoid skipping meals to relieve symptoms of morning sickness.
- Avoid spicy, fatty and processed foods.
- After waking up in the morning do not jump out of your bed, but sit for a few minutes before stepping out of the bed.
- Avoid food whose aroma causes nausea. You may ask someone else to cook for you if the aroma of cooking food causes nausea.
- Eat food at room temperature so that the aroma of food settles down.
- Proper ventilation of the room or stepping out in the fresh air and under the sun may relieve symptoms of morning sickness.
Foods that relieve symptoms of morning sickness:
1. Ginger tea– You may also sniff ginger to relieve symptoms of morning sickness.
2. Lemonade– Drink lemonade or you may also sniff a lemon.
3. Eating Watermelon may help you to relieve symptoms of morning sickness.
4. Salty potato chips.
5. A sports drink containing potassium, glucose, and salts to replace lost electrolytes.
6. Peppermint tea.
7. Salted crackers.
8. Flavored Popsicles
9. Eat oranges to relieve symptoms of morning sickness.
11. Chilled foods, ice creams
12. Dark chocolates.
During pregnancy eat foods that are rich in protein and vitamin B complex including vitamin B6, vitamin B12, calcium, complex carbohydrates and saturated fats.
When to see a doctor:
- In the case of severe nausea and vomiting that makes it impossible for you to keep food down.
- If morning sickness persists even after 12 weeks.