Puffiness or bag under the eyes is not a symptom of any serious illness, but they affect your appearance and make you look dull and tired. You must be willing to get rid it. The good news is that certain changes in lifestyle, diet, habits, and few home remedies are enough to help you get rid of bags under eyes.
Common causes of puffiness under eyes:
- Advancing age
- Fluid retention caused due to following:
- Changes in hormones
- Weather changes
- Eating salted foods
- Lack of sleep
- Sinus problem
- Excessive crying
Below are simple yet effective home remedies to get rid of the bag under eyes.
- Drink milk– Drinking milk daily before going to bed reduces the retention of water.
You may also Dip cotton balls into milk and cover your eyes with it for a half hour. This is followed by rinsing your eyes with cool water. Milk will soothe your eyes and ward off the tired look.
- Massage with almond and coconut oil- Mix both the oils in equal quantity. Apply it under the eyes and massage gently for a few minutes. Repeat this every day before going to bed. This will increase the blood circulation and is effective to get rid of bags under eyes, dark circles and itchy eyes.
- Tea bags– Steep two tea bags in a cup of steaming water for 10 minutes. Keep them in the freezer for 10 minutes. Lie down and keep the tea bags over your closed eyelids. Wait for 15 minutes. Repeat this 3 times a day.
- Cold compress– Take a clean washed cloth and dip it into cold water. Strain it properly and cover your eyes with it. Apply gentle pressure for few minutes. Repeat this for 3 to 5 times in a row.
- Egg white mask- Separate egg white from yolk in a bowl. Whip the egg white and add a few drops of witch hazel. With the help of a brush, apply this face pack under your eyes. After 15 minutes, rinse off with cool water.
You may also apply this face pack all over your face to tighten your skin and get rid of bags under eyes.
- Cucumber, strawberry or potato slices– Cucumber contains ascorbic acid and caffeine that prevents retention of water under the eyes.
Take 2 slices of refrigerated cucumber and place it on your closed eyelids for 20 minutes. Repeat this daily. You may also use potato or strawberry slices in the same way to get rid of bags under eyes.
Beside above home remedies keep in mind:
- Cut your time in front of the screen.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol.
- Reduce salt intake.
- Get enough amount of sleep. An adult requires 7 to 8 hours of sleep daily.
- In case you are suffering from allergies get proper treatment.
- Drink 10 to 12 glasses of water daily to remove toxins from your body.
- While sleeping keep your head slightly raised with the aid of extra pillow. This prevents accumulation of fluids around eyes.
- Exercise daily to improve your blood circulation and get rid of bags under eyes.
- Apply sunscreen or wear a hat before stepping out in the sun.