Female mosquitoes suck the blood to lay their eggs. These tiny little pests cause malaria, Chikungunya, dengue, elephantiasis and other vector born diseases. Mosquito bites cause itching, swelling, inflammation. Some people also reports of mild irritation and allergic symptoms following mosquito bites.
To get rid of mosquitoes various mosquito repellents are available in the market, but they contain harmful chemicals that harm our environment and us. This article is about natural eco- friendly remedies to get of mosquitoes.
12 Natural ways to get rid of Mosquitoes:
1. Camphor- Light camphor for 20 minutes after closing doors and windows of your room to get rid mosquitoes.
2. Indian lilac oil and coconut oil- Mix Indian lilac oil and coconut oil in equal amounts. Now apply this preparation on your body eventually. Due to the smell of this mixture, you will be protected from mosquitoes for 8 hours.
3. Basil leaves- Plant basil leaves either in your garden, at the entry or near the windows. You can also keep basil leaves in your room or put them in open water bodies to kill the larvae of mosquitoes.
4. Neem oil-Neem oil is an effective natural remedy to get rid of mosquitoes. Mix Neem oil with coconut oil in equal ratio and apply it on your exposed body parts. The smell of the mixture keeps mosquitoes away.
5. Garlic to get rid of the mosquitoes – Grind some pods of garlic and boil it in water. Spray the water around the house. The pungent bad smell of the garlic keeps mosquitoes away naturally.
6. Eucalyptus oil and lemon oil – Mix both oils in equal quantity and apply to your skin to keep mosquitoes away.
7. Beer to get rid of the mosquitoes- Take a bowl and pour beer in it. Keep bowl containing beer in your room to drive mosquitoes away from your room.
8. Tea tree oil- Mix 2 to 3 drops of tea tree oil with a carrier oil or water and apply on your exposed parts including your face. The strong smell of the Tea tree oil helps you to get rid of mosquitoes.
9. Mint Oil- Spray mint oil around your house. Alternately, grow shrubs of mint near your windows and at the points of entry to get rid mosquitoes. You can also rub mint oil on the exposed body parts.
10. Lavender oil- Smell of lavender oil is very effective to get rid of the mosquitoes. You can either apply this oil on exposed body parts or spray it around your house.
11. Citronella to get rid of mosquitoes- Use an extract of Citronella in a vaporizer to drive mosquitoes away from your house. You may also grow Citronella bushes near windows, at the point of entry and in your garden to keep mosquitoes away.
12. Rosemary- The aroma produced by burning rosemary stalk acts as a natural mosquito repellent and keeps mosquitoes away.
Above mentioned all methods to get rid of mosquitoes are natural and do not cause any harm to the environment. If you know of other natural and Eco-friendly ideas to get rid of mosquitoes please share them with us.